Monday, September 19, 2011

Blog Post #1

I was really excited to begin working on this project because I have not done anything with television since high school. Jeremy McKeel, TV Operations Director, spent the first two hours going over the camera equipment thoroughly. Since I am enrolled in JMC 270, he went over a semester’s worth of material in the first two hours and it was a lot of information. I was surprised by the fact that using the camera is not that complicated at least for conducting interviews. When doing an interview you have to do a white balance, set up the shot correctly and make sure the lighting is good. Once the shot is set, audio is the next component that needs attention. I did not understand how to set audio on the camera even when he explained it the first time, but we will focus more on that during our next meeting. Jeremy says that some students will sacrifice audio for visuals, but both are equally important. During our last meeting, I set up the tripod, the camera and shot some footage in the studio. Jeremy gave a mock interview and I shot b-roll in the studio based on what he talked about in the interview. B-roll is the footage shown in videos or reports in-between or during interviews. Then we went to the editing lab and he showed me how to edit the video. Final Cut Pro is the editing system used at Murray State University. I talked to Dr. Wurgler about ideas for the public relations video for the Music Department. I am going to begin shooting interviews this week and Jeremy is going to come with me for my first interview with Dr. Wurgler. The picture below is an example of a video being edited with the Final Cut Pro program that I am using for my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment